Friday, February 3, 2012

Researching Family History

Researching family history can be fun and rewarding.  I have been researching my family tree since the late sixties-early seventies.
To begin, I asked some of the older members for information.  Fortunately, I had an aunt who was willing to share information and knew a bit about the family history.  In addition to past history, work on the present as well.  Talk to aunts, uncles, cousins and other relatives to obtain current information about family.  This information will be in place for years to come and also, it makes you feel closer to your family connections.
Ask you relatives if you can see their family bibles. Many of them have tons of information in them; dates of birth, death, marriage etc...
Visit family cemeteries and record information from the tombstones.  An easy way to do this is to carry a small camera with  you and take pictures of each stone.
When I could finally afford it, I joined Ancestry.com.  I have a huge family tree there along with some smaller ones.  I also have FamilyTree software on my computer and back up information from ancestry every couple of months.
I have been in contact with many relatives which I would not have known if it had not been for my interest in the family history and Ancestry.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment